Signs of mold illness no one should ignore

A
leaky roof, musty odors, dampness – these are signs you should not
ignore in your home or workplace as they could be the site of a
dangerous breeding ground for toxic mold. This toxic mold can seriously
affect your health, causing everything from flu and allergy like
symptoms to rashes, fatigue, and vertigo.

The
problem is, many people don’t even realize they are suffering from
toxic mold exposure, and may attribute the symptoms to other conditions
or even allergies and even the common cold or flu. According to Dr.
Jill, it’s estimated that indoor air pollutants, including mold and
mycotoxins may be contributing to more than 50% of patient illnesses.
 It’s extremely important to understand where and why mold forms, and
the symptoms of exposure in order to protect yourself.

Where mold forms

Mold
can grow almost anywhere – from wood and leather to fabrics and
sheetrock and even insulation. All that mold needs to grow is moisture
and oxygen, therefore the most common place to find mold is in wet or
damp areas of your home or workplace like:

all information provided by Mercola


Bathrooms and kitchens, especially under sinks—particularly leaky
onesBehind or under appliances that hide slow plumbing leaks
(refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines, etc.)

– Roof leaks
– Around windows where condensation collects

– High humidity areas of your home, such as basements

Usually
the first sign of mold is a “musty” odor. Another sign to look out for
is bowed or buckled floorboards, discolored carpet, a new water stain on
your wall, or black or white specks—all signs you could be developing a
mold problem according to Mercola.

Types of mold

Usually
mold forms in the home after an area has been exposed to water damage –
but basically anywhere with moisture has the potential to sprout mold.
Here are the most common types of mold that are found indoors according
to Mercola:

Alternaria: Commonly found in your nose,
mouth, and upper respiratory tract; this type of mold can cause a
response that seems like allergies.

Aspergillus: Usually
found in warm, extremely damp climates, and a common occupant of house
dust; this type of mold produces produces mycotoxins and can cause lung
infections.

Cladosporium: This very common outdoor
fungus can find its way indoors to grow on textiles, wood and other
damp, porous materials. This mold triggers hay fever and asthma
symptoms.

Penicillium: Very common species found on
wallpaper, decaying fabrics, carpet, and fiberglass duct insulation.
This type of mold is known for causing allergies and asthma. Some
species produce mycotoxins – one being the common antibiotic penicillin.

Stachybotrys: This
extremely toxic mold, also know as “black mold”, produces mycotoxins
that can cause serious breathing difficulties and bleeding of the lungs,
among other health problems. This type of mold is less common in homes –
but it’s not rare. You can find it on wood or paper – but not on
concrete linoleum or tile.

Symptoms

According
to Doctor Jill, there are a bunch of symptoms to look out for that may
indicate you’re suffering from toxic mold exposure in your home.

– Fatigue and weakness
– Headache, light sensitivity
– Poor memory, difficult word finding
– Difficulty concentration
– Morning stiffness, joint pain
– Unusual skin sensations, tingling and numbness
– Shortness of breath, sinus congestion or chronic cough
– Appetite swings, body temperature regulation,
– Increased urinary frequency or increased thirst
– Red eyes, blurred vision, sweats, mood swings, sharp pains
– Abdominal pain, diarrhea, bloating
– Tearing, disorientation, metallic taste in mouth
– Static shocks
– Vertigo, feeling lightheaded

If
you’re still unsure, there’s also a checklist of questions to go
through that might indicate whether or not toxic mold is a problem in
your home:

Do musty odors bother you?
Have you worked or lived
in a building where the air vents or ceiling tiles were discolored?Have
you noticed water damage or discoloration elsewhere?
Has your home been flooded?
Have you had leaks in the roof?
Do you experience unusual shortness of breath?
Do you experience recurring sinus infections?
Do you experience recurring respiratory infections and coughing?
Do you have frequent flu-like symptoms?
Do your symptoms worsen on rainy days?
Do you have frequent headaches?
Are you fatigued and have a skin rashes?

If you believe you could be suffering from toxic mold it is important you see a doctor right away.

Treatment

First off, remove yourself from the area of the home that has the toxic mold because it’s not safe to be there. You can either:

Get a high-quality air purifier to control mold toxins. This will help strip the air of moisture and rid the area of moly toxins.

Clean up the surface mold if it is manageable. Manageable
means the surface is not too large, and you don’t experience severe
symptoms. There are some different tips and cleaning solutions you can
use to clean up this mold.

Seriously consider getting a professional to clean up the mold.  If
your mold problem is large, you have severe symptoms, or if you have
black mold, you need to get a professional to clean it up because this
mold is extremely toxic and can make you very sick. This is not a cheap
option, but it is the safest.

See a doctor. If you
believe you are suffering from toxic mold see a doctor right away. There
are tests they can administer, and different treatment options based on
your symptoms. By no means should you self diagnose, or treat yourself
in this situation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *